Beet Seeds , Chioggia Beet 200 Seeds
Regular price $4.98 Sale price
The most beautiful of all beets and very sweet flavored.
This is an Italian heirloom from the town of Chioggia, near Venice, and has been popular since the early 1800s. It's beautiful and sweet flavored. Sliced roots look like bull's-eyes having concentric rings of white alternating with wine-red. The green leaves are an excellent spinach substitute.
How to Sow and Plant
- Sow beet seeds in well-worked, well-drained soil in full sun after danger of frost in spring. In frost free areas, sow in fall.
- Beets are sensitive to acidic soils and prefer a pH of 6.0 – 7.0. If your soil is more acidic, add Garden Lime as directed on the bag.
- Sow thinly in rows 12 inches apart and cover with ½ inches of fine soil. Firm lightly and keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings emerge in 14-21 days.
- Thin to stand about 3" apart when seedlings are 1-2" tall. Note that beet seeds are actually clusters of seeds and require more thinning than other crops.