Beet Seeds , Avalanche 200 Seeds
Regular price $4.98 Sale price
Rich, sweet flavor, free of earthy notes.
The unique taste of ‘Avalanche’—2015 AAS Vegetable Award Winner—can’t be beat. Hefty, rounded, white-fleshed 2-3" beet champion, offers rich, sweet flavor, free of earthy notes. For a deep, aromatic, profoundly delicious gourmet surprise, roast these beauties: cut them into wedges, add oil, bake till fork-tender, and sprinkle with salt. Amazing. Easy-growing ‘Avalanche’ delivers a big harvest and tip-top garden performance. Resistant to the leaf spot; will survive a bit of frost. Direct-sow seeds in spring, late summer, or early fall. In regions with mild falls and springs, sow every 3-4 weeks for a prolonged season of sweet white beet nirvana.
How to Sow and Plant
- Sow beet seeds in well-worked, well-drained soil in full sun after danger of frost in spring. In frost free areas, sow in fall.
- Beets are sensitive to acidic soils and prefer a pH of 6.0 – 7.0. If your soil is more acidic, add Garden Lime as directed on the bag.
- Sow thinly in rows 12 inches apart and cover with ½ inches of fine soil. Firm lightly and keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings emerge in 14-21 days.
- Thin to stand about 3" apart when seedlings are 1-2" tall. Note that beet seeds are actually clusters of seeds and require more thinning than other crops.